In 2014, Modi Government came into power for the first time. After that our PM Narendra Modi initiated many schemes, many campaigns, many concepts, which are still going on. These included the Make in India Campaign, Digital India, and Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan. Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan which in English is translated as “self-reliant India.” This means that self-sufficient India. With this concept, we won’t need any resources from outside of the country as we will produce and manufacture most of the things we think.
Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan was launched by our respected Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi on 12th May 2020 after the COVID-19 outbreak. This was launched because Narendra Modi wants India to be self-sufficient so that we don’t import much or export much and our economy also becomes stable. It was started because we are more dependent on other countries for our resources. We are not self-sufficient. It is a campaign with a package for MSMEs to help out these enterprises to recover from an economic crisis.
India’s economy wasn’t good before the COVID-19 outbreak also and after this virus, it became even more downward trend. The package of Rs. 20 lakh crores were announced by the PM and for this campaign “Vocal for Local” slogan was used. This means using more products made in India than exporting other materials from outside of the country. This also means using products from local and small producers rather than purchasing from foreign companies. There were five pillars which were stated for this Atmanirbhar Bharat, which were, technology-driven systems, economy, vibrant demography, infrastructure, and demand. This package is predicted to be approximately 10% of GDP. Nirmala Sitaraman, Finance Minister of our country along with Narendra Modi inaugurated this campaign.
Advantages of Atmanirbhar Bharat
Advantages of Atmanirbhar Bharat are:
- The campaign aims to increase the reach of local products on a global stage. Therefore, it is also helping Indian medium, small and micro enterprises in competing with global companies.
- Generally, banks don’t prefer to give loans to MSMEs as there is this constant of MSMEs not repaying back and after the coronavirus outbreak, this became even more difficult. So, this campaign also gives collateral-free loans to MSMEs with a turnover of up to Rs. 100 crores.
- Approximately 45 lakh enterprises will be benefitted from the loan scheme. Whereas, 11 crore people approx will be employed by MSMEs in our country which would lead to more job employment in our country.
- Indian space industry will be benefitted from this campaign as space exploration will be opened for private players as well.
- The government said they will provide shelter to migrants. Free food will be made available for migrant workers.
- Health institutions and laboratories will be set up in more numbers in our country.
- Around Rs.5000 crore credit facilities will be provided to street vendors.
- Also, the One Nation, One Card scheme was launched in which it wouldn’t matter even if a worker is away from home, he can use his ration card where he is working in other states as well.
- This package focuses on laws, labour, land, and liquidity which means farmers, taxpayers who are honest, labourers, cottage industry, and MSMEs.
Disadvantages of Atmanirbhar Bharat
Few disadvantages of Atmanirbhar Bharat are as follows:
- The disadvantage of this campaign is many sectors have opened up for private players. This might help some but at the same time, this might be bad for a few sectors and may lead to the exploitation of workers.
- People are saying it resembles with Make in India campaign. The name is different but not everything.
- In this campaign, no allotment was given for research and development. However, this is not a good sign as most work starts with research and development only for which funds are required. No funds, no research.
- The campaign mainly focuses on rural employment. Urban employment has not been considered. It is good for one but the other population will feel left out with this.
- This package is not sufficient for reviving our economy. The budget allocated for this campaign, might not be enough.
Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan is facing many criticisms regarding not being sufficient to rebuild the economy. The funds allocated in this are not sounding enough according to economists. This campaign was needed because our economy is suffering, migrants are suffering and many lives are being affected by a coronavirus. Many people have abolished using China Made products and started using Indian products only. But China has captured a huge amount of market in India and around the world. So it is difficult to completely abolish that but it can be reduced.