What is acne?
Acne is the medical term for pimples. Pimples happen when pores (the pilosebaceous unit) get clogged with dead skin, oil, and bacteria. The skin can then get inflamed and turn red or swollen.
Is there anything you can do on your own to reduce acne?
Yes, your acne can be significantly impacted by how you manage your skin. Let’s learn How to remove acne scars naturally.
Table of Contents
How to remove acne scars naturally?
Even after acne has healed, acne scars can often remain for a long time, affecting our self-confidence and overall appearance. Although various treatments are available, many people prefer natural remedies to help fade these marks. We will discover how to remove acne scars naturally and achieve a smoother, more radiant complexion.
1. Lemon juice
Lemon juice contains natural acids that can gently exfoliate the skin and help remove acne scars. Apply freshly squeezed lemon juice on the affected areas with the help of cotton and leave it for about 10-15 minutes before washing it off with water. Remember to do a patch test before using it on your face and avoid exposure to sunlight after application, as lemon juice can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight.
Honey is known for its antibacterial and healing properties. Apply raw honey on your scars and leave it on for about 10-15 minutes before washing it off. Regular use can help moisturize the skin and encourage the healing process, remove acne scars over time.
3. Aloe vera gel
Aloe vera is famous for its soothing and rejuvenating properties. Apply pure aloe vera gel directly on the scars and leave it for 20-30 minutes before washing it off. Aloe vera may help promote skin healing and reduce inflammation, leaving the skin’s texture smoother.
4. Rosehip Seed Oil
Rosehip seed oil is rich in vitamins, antioxidants and essential fatty acids that can aid in skin regeneration. Gently massage a few drops of rosehip seed oil on the affected area twice a day. Over time, this can help improve skin texture and reduce the appearance of scars.
5. Turmeric Paste
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can help fade blemishes and even out skin tone. Make a paste by mixing turmeric powder with curd or honey, then apply it on the stain for 15-20 minutes before washing it off. Due to its vibrant color, be careful to avoid staining.
While natural remedies can help reduce acne scars, it is important to note that results can vary depending on skin type and the severity of the scars. Consistency is key when using these remedies, and it is advised to do a patch test before applying any ingredient on your face. If you have deep or stubborn scars, it may be helpful to consult a dermatologist for personalized recommendations and professional treatment. With patience and a holistic approach, you can slowly say goodbye to those pesky acne scars and become more confident.
Here are a few other steps you can consider
- Wash your face no more than twice a day. Utilize warm water (avoid hot water) and refrain from using aggressive soaps. Instead, use a gentle, non-soap facial skin cleanser. Do not scrub your face, because that May exacerbate skin breakouts and cause harm to the skin.
- Do not pick or squeeze pimples. This can worsen acne and damage the skin. Moreover, it has the potential to result in infections.
- Use moisturizer. Moisturizers labeled non-comedogenic ‘ and without scents or dyes are often best.
- Avoid oil-based makeup and skin products. They can worsen acne.
What are the causes of acne?
The basic cause of acne is the clogging and inflammation of the pilosebaceous unit (that is, the hair follicle with the sebaceous gland attached to it).. When this gets clogged because of excess production of its lining cells and increased production of sebum, with decreased shedding of the same, bacteria start growing, and the lesion is called a ‘comedo ‘ (white heads and blackheads).
- Hormones (androgens) play a major role in exacerbating acne. The level of these hormones has to be measured, and women with acne have to be evaluated for polycystic ovarian disease before starting any of the creams or gels for their acne.
- External influences: repeated mechanical damage from abrasive soaps and astringent substances can aggravate the condition by breaking open comedones and promoting the development of inflammatory defects. Thus, patients with acne should refrain from rubbing their faces or pinching the skin. Turtleneck dresses, bra straps, shoulder pads, orthopedic casts, and sports helmets may all cause acne, in which occlusion of pilosebaceous follicles leads to comedo formation.
- Drugs like oral steroids, phenytoin, lithium, iodides, and androgens can trigger acne formation.
- Diet and acne: Eating foods with a high glycemic index exacerbates acne. The glycemic index (GI) is a ranking of carbohydrate-rich foods based on their potential to increase blood sugar levels. Foods with high GI values raise blood sugar levels much quicker than foods with lower glycemic index values. The pancreas responds to this increased blood sugar in the body by producing insulin to bring down the sugar levels. Large quantities of insulin cause blood sugar levels to fall rapidly, which then triggers a stress response in the adrenal glands. These adrenal glands then release androgens. Androgens then promote sebaceous glands to produce and release more sebum and also cause the proliferation of the lining cells of the pilosebaceous unit. Apart from androgens, other growth factors are released by the pancreas in response to increased insulin levels. All the above results in the formation of acne.
There are a number of studies that have been done on the ingestion of milk and the triggering of acne. This is possible because milk is a rich source of hormones and growth factors, which can result in an elevation of androgens. Acne-prone skin has an increased number of androgen-sensitive receptors, which trigger the production of sebum and result in the production of acne.
Therefore, the foods to be included in a diet are brown rice, whole grain cereals, brown bread, green leafy vegetables, and fruits.
When all the above-mentioned factors are addressed and treated, can one be successful in treating acne.
Recommended: 10 Best Indian Independence Day Drawings