Mahendra Singh Dhoni is a former Indian cricketer who was born on 7 July 1981. He played for the Indian national team from 2004 to 2019. M. S. Dhoni also served as a captain of the Indian national team from 2007 to 2016 in ODIs and T20s and from 2008 to 2016 in Test cricket. He was a Wicket-keeper, batsman and a part-time bowler. He often goes by the name Caption cool, Mahi, thala, and MSD. Dhoni has also been the captain of IPL team Chennai Super Kings since its first season (2008).
Dhoni got picked in the ODI squad for the Bangladesh tour 2004/05. Dhoni got run out for a duck in his first match.
He got his first breakthrough when he scored 148 off only 123 deliveries in his fifth ODI match and second match of the series. He broke the previous record of highest score by wicket-keeper. When India was playing against Sri Lanka, they had to chase a target of 299. India lost Sachin early in the innings and Dhoni had to go early. He finished it off in style by scoring unbeaten 183 off 145 balls, winning the game for India. At the end of the series, Dhoni was the highest run-scorer and was the Man of the Match. Dhoni was rewarded with a B-grade contract by BCCI. He was named in the World ODI XI by ICC in the year 2006 for his performance.
While preparing for the 2007 world cup, Team India recorded 3-1 wins over west indies and dhoni had an average of 100 in both series.
But unfortunately, India was out of the world cup when the team lost to Sri Lanka and Bangladesh in the stage group. After team loss, Dhoni’s house in Ranchi was vandalized by people, and his family took the shelter of police for protection.
India won the 2011 World cup, under the captaincy of Dhoni. Dhoni finished the match by hitting the six, scoring the last runs. The final match of the series was against Sri Lanka, which had set the target of 275.
In the 2013 series against Pakistan, Dhoni remained the top scorer in two of the matches. However, the team lost the series to Pakistan by 1-2 margin.
after winning the Champions Trophy, Dhoni became the only caption to claim all the ICC trophies. He was the captain and wicket-keeper of the Tournament.
Dhoni became the second batsman to score more than 10,000 runs against Australia after Sachin Tendulkar.
In 2014, India won the ODI series against West Indies by a 2-1 margin. Dhoni scored the fifties in each match.
In the 2015 World cup, Dhoni became the only captain to win the all group stage match. But yet, they got defeated by Australia in the semi-finals.
In 2017, Dhoni stepped down as a captain of India. He was named as a wicket-keeper of “Team of the Tournament” in 2017 Champions Trophy.
Dhoni exceeded the 10,000 run milestone while playing against England in the 2018 tour. Victory against Australia by 2-1 margin, Dhoni scored 193 runs and became the player of the series.
Dhoni scored 30 runs in his debut match against Sri Lanks. He scored his first fifty in the second test match. Dhoni scored his maiden century in 2006 against Pakistan. While playing against England, Dhoni failed to collect the catch of Flintoff on Harbhajan delivery, which helped England to set the target of 313. He and other fielders missed some catches and dismissals. Dhoni scored only 5 runs and got criticized for batting badly and missing catches.
Mahi scored 2 centuries against Sri Lanka in the 2009 tour. After this, India was in the first position in Test ranking, which happened for the first time in all of cricket history.
Dhoni made his international T20 debut in December 2006 against South Africa. India won the match but Dhoni got out for a duck.
On 12 February 2012, Dhoni made 44 runs against Australia at Adelaide and guided his team towards their victory.
He was named captain and wicket-keeper of the “Team of the Tournament” for the 2014 T20 World Cup by ICC.
He became the captain of the India team for the 2007 World T20. India won the ICC World Twenty 20 Trophy under the captaincy of Dhoni against rival Pakistan on 27 September 2007. After Kapil Dev, Dhoni became the second captain to claim all the trophies of the world cup in any format.
He announced his retirement from international cricket on 15 August 2020.
IPL(Indian Premier League)
Dhoni has always played for Chennai Super Kings from the first season. Under his captaincy, The team won IPL titles in 2010, 2011, and 2018, and Champion League T20 titles in 2010, and 2014. Dhoni was bought for US$1.5 million and this made him the most expensive player of the first season auction.
After the CSK suspension, he was bought by Rising Pune Supergiant for US$1.9 million in 2016.
In 2018, his team CSK returned to IPL, and he was made a captain of the team. And led his team to their 3rd title.
In 2019 IPL, he was the leading run-scorer for the team which includes three fifties- 75*, 58, and 84*.
In July 2014, Dhoni married Sakshi Singh Rawat, his schoolmate in DAV Jawahar Vidya Mandir, shyamali, a native of Dehradun, Uttrakhand. Their marriage was a day after their engagement. Dhoni has a daughter named Ziva who was born on 6 February 2015. At that time, he was in Australia with the India team for the 2015 Cricket World Cup. He refuses to go back to India and got famous for saying ” I am on national duty, other things can wait”
- In 2009, India ranked no. 1 in Test Cricket ranking under Dhoni’s captaincy.
- He has the record of the most wins of 27 in Test cricket as an Indian captain, leaving behind Sourav’s 21 wins.
- Dhoni has also a record of most overseas defeats of 15 as an Indian captain.
- He is the first Indian wicket-keeper to complete 4,000 runs.
- Dhoni scored 224 runs against Australia, which is the third-highest score by an Indian captain.
- He has completed 50 sixes as a caption.
- Dhoni ranks first in all-time dismissals list with 294 dismissals in his career.
- Dhoni ranks 3rd in winning over 100 games as a captain.
- Dhoni is the fourth Indian to reach 10,000 runs after Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, and Rahul Dravid.
- First cricketer to cross 10,000 runs with an average of 50.
- He ranks fifth in who has the highest average (51.09), among players with more than 5,000 runs.
- Most runs scored when batting at no. 6 in the batting line.
- Most not outs (82) in ODI cricket.
- He is the only player who scored more than one hundred (2 centuries) in ODI when batting at number 7 or lower.
- He has a record of hitting 200 sixes, the first Indian to do so and fifth, overall.
- Dhoni’s 183 not out against Sri Lanka in 2005, is the highest score by a wicket-keeper.
- His 113* against Pakistan in 2012 is the highest by a captain at position 7.
- Dhoni has the highest eighth-wicket partnership with Bhuvneshwar Kumar of 100 runs not out.
- Also, hold the record of playing most matches as a captain and wicket-keeper as well.
- Has a record of most dismissals in an innings(6) and career (432) by Indian wicket-keeper.
- Most stumping by a wicket-keeper (120) and so far the only one to cross 100.
- First Indian wicket-keeper to take 300 catches and fourth overall.
- Most wins by a captain (41).
- The most matches played as a captain in T20s (72).
- Most matches played, both as a captain and wicket-keeper in T20s (72).
- The most innings played without going at duck (82).
- Most dismissals by a wicket-keeper in T20(87).
- The most catches taken by a wicket-keeper(54).
- Most stumping by a wicket-keeper (33).
International records (Test, ODI, and T20I )
- Has a record of playing most matches as a captain(332).
- Dhoni, so far, is the only one who has 150 stumpings in all the three formats.
Other than cricket
Ownership of sports team
He is the co-owner of the Ranchi hockey team, Ranchi Rays, a franchise of Hockey Indian League, along with Sahara India Pariwar.
MSD is the co-owner, along with Abhishek Bachchan and Vita Dani of the Chennai football club, Chennaiyin FC, a franchise of Indian Super League.
He is the co-owner with Akkineni Nagarjuna of the Supersport World Championship team, Mahi Racing Team.
Dhoni launched lifestyle brand SEVEN, in February 2016. He is the brand ambassador of SEVEN and owns the footwear side of the brand.
M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story was the film based on the biography of MS Dhoni and was released on 30 September 2016.
In 2011, Dhoni became the honorary lieutenant-colonel in the Indian Territorial Army for his contribution to cricket. He completed his two-week stint with the territorial army in Jammu and Kashmir in August 2019.
- 2018: Padma Bushan, India’s third-highest civilian award.
- 2009: Padma Shri, India’s fourth-highest civilian award.
- 2007-08: Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, India’s highest honor for achievement in sports.
- ICC ODI player of the year: 2008, 2009
- He, also, won the ICC World ODI XI: 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- ICC World Test XI: 2009, 2010, 2013
- Castrol Indian Cricketer of the year: 2011
- MTV Youth Icon of the Year: 2006
- LG People’s Choice Award: 2013
- Got Honorary degree of doctorate by De Montfort University in August 2011
Stay tuned to Blogger Bunny to read about more such inspiring personalities like Gaur Gopal Das – an Unusual Monk.