Internet and social media are an integral part of our lives. From posting ‘Mah lyf, mah rulez’ on Facebook to posting OOTD on Instagram, we have all come a long way.
The life without the web
Haven’t we all heard our parents bragging about their generation at any given chance?
They always tell us about how easy, simple, and vibrant their lives were when they were our age.
Be it schools studies, sports, or any extracurricular activities they always tell us how they struggled. Yet enjoyed every part of their childhood.
We often hear them recalling those old childhood memories and telling us about them. Their sacrifices and also those little joys that they achieved in all those little things they did. Then they compare our lives with theirs and tell us that we have easy access to everything. This is because of the Internet and social media. Be it studies or any project completion we always rely on the internet rather than gaining knowledge from practical sources.
Now, this makes us question if the world of the Internet is actually a boon or a bane for us.
It is truly said that a person’s capabilities and skills are enhanced. Due to overall personality development when actual knowledge is gained by doing practical work. But in this era of social media and various other platforms of search engines, students’ capabilities and practical skills are restricted to a phone. You want it and you have it within a matter of seconds. You can search whatever you want to and have access to all the information you need.
Isn’t it quite obvious? When you have such easy access to gain knowledge and information, you wouldn’t choose the long way of searching in books, magazines, newspapers, etc.?
Even parents these days can’t restrict their children from having access to the internet. They know that it as an easier way of learning and exploring.
During the earlier times when there was no existence of the Internet. People didn’t know what the internet world was. Life was so easy yet simple. There were more outdoor games and fun instead of virtual video games. But as it is said, having vast knowledge of a particular topic was also a struggle back then.
Introduction of social media on the internet
The first-ever social media site was Six Degrees, invented by Andrew Weinreich in 1997. Six Degrees was a pretty popular site with users until 2003.
This site enabled users to upload a profile and make friends with other users. In 1999, the first blogging site became popular, which created a social media sensation that’s still popular today.
After the success of the first this site, various other social media sites were introduced that captured a great amount of audience. Such sites created enormous traffic and became very popular, especially, among the youth within a short span of time.
According to the current scenario, the engagement on recent social media platforms are as follows-
2.23 billion MAUs. It is the biggest social media site around, with more than 2 billion people using it every month, and the amount keeps increasing.
FB is easy to use and has a public of every age group and category.
On the other hand,
1.9 billion MAUs. YouTube is a video-sharing platform where users watch a billion hour of videos every day.
Content creators from all over the world create amazing videos and upload them on YouTube,. It makes it even easier for the general public.
WhatsApp being, currently, the most used platforms by all which has completely abolished the concept of letter writing. Only 2 to 3 percent of people write letters when required.
It has become very easy to exchange messages through WhatsApp, as we can exchange information within a matter of seconds and make it reach to people all across the world. It has an engagement of 1.5 billion MAUs.
There are few more examples of apps that are very popular and have created a buzz, such as – Instagram, Snapchat, LinkedIn, etc..
After reading about all such networking sites, we have to agree to the fact that social media sites have become an integral part of our life. Now, it is near impossible to live without them. It has not only made our life simpler and easy but also it has made India flourish in terms of technology advancement.
Merits of social media
Well, there are more amount of merits than its demerits.
- Easy access to information.
- Exchange of messages, thoughts, and opinions.
- Connecting to a billion people all across the world.
- Be it on Instagram, Twitter, or even Facebook, it can also give you a decent amount of earning.
- This kind of job opportunity has created the need for Digital Marketing which is very much popular & famous among the freshers.
- Matrimonial sites can help you find yourself a suitable life partner. Always a great concern for the great Indian society who never understand that Marriage is a choice!
- People can raise their voices and give their opinions regarding different matters. Majorly political issues. Through Twitter and other social media platforms and can make anything reach over a billion people overnight. Yes, social media has the power to viral any sort of content within a short span of time.
- It has also become a whole new concept of employment and creating jobs.
Demerits of social media
- The most genuine problem that we all agree on, is being on phones and laptops non-stop for hours. This restricts our physical body movements. Resulting in procrastination due to which we hardly move and don’t do physical work resulting in a sedentary lifestyle.
- Social media can also at times be harassing for users. We also come across a lot of cybercrimes. A lot of times people hide their real identity to give rise to their negative intentions and try to hamper our emotions.
- We often find inappropriate age-restricted videos on various social media sites. Videos might not be appropriate for all types of people. Especially, children below 18 years of age who have easy access to them.
- People also suffer from threatening calls and at times lose their money because of fraud calls. These online Business mafias take advantage of the genuinely unaware public to meet their personal wild benefits.
- Talking about social media harassment. It is also a bitter truth indeed that girls are not just having harassment or rapes outside on road. But also on social media. Girls are disrespected and abused by many people who create fake IDs and try to blackmail women/ girls in different ways.
- It has become really threatening for public figures and celebrities. Even the bloggers who are often trolled and roasted by the general public which not only affects their reputation but also deeply affects their mental and emotional health, due to which a lot of people commit suicides.
So what do we do?
Is social media good or bad?
Well as it is said that everything comes with its advantages and also drawbacks. But we cannot deny the truth that it is impossible. Impossible for us to quit social media completely or stay away from any. Especially now as it has become a part of our lives.
How often do you go to a restaurant and take a picture of your food or selfie with your friends? Just to post it on social media?
Yes, we like the virtual world and we want people to have a sneak peek into our lives.
Even though most of the time social media is way too different from our actual lifestyle. But it kind of becomes a responsibility for us to keep people/friends/ families updated. A person not being on any social media platform is considered to be boring or is even depressed, at times.
So, is social media a boon or a bane?
Well, definitely social-media is a boon for us. We cannot neglect its advantages and we cannot live without social media for many different reasons. But we can definitely have control over it and use it in a limited manner. We should not let it affect our life to an extent that we are unable to live without it.
Using social networking sites in a positive and the right way will definitely make your life easy and beneficial.