For every country, there are a set of rules and regulations to run the country smoothly, isn’t it? The Constitution of India tells us how should our country work. Whatever is to be done, how it is to be done, and everything has to conform to the constitution. 26th January commemorates the date on which the Constitution of India came into effect. Yes, on 26th January 2021 the Constitution of India is marking its 72nd Republic Day.
Did you know that around the globe, there are several kinds of constitiution??? Click here to read more about the various kinds of constitutions worldwide.
What is the constitution?
A constitution is a set of fundamental principles or established precedent according to which a state or other organization is governed, these principals are written down into a single collection or set of legal documents. This is called the technical definition of the constitution. It is a supreme law of the land.
Our Constitution of India is the largest constitution in the world.
The constitution contains law concerning the government. Its relations with people includes two aspects that are the relationships between different levels of government and the relations between government and citizens.
TWEET – “Law and order are the medicine of the body politic and when the body politic gets sick then medicine must be administrated” – (Dr Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar – Father of Indian constitution)
The Preamble of The Constitution –
What is a preamble?
It is the introductory part of a document that explain the rules and regulations and philosophy of the document simply we can say that the brief introduction of documents by highlighting the principles.
Well, let’s see the preamble of our Indian constitution.
Indian constitution is mainly based on the objective resolution written by Jawahar Lal Nehru. He introduced his objective resolution on December 13, 1946, later. The constituent assembly accepted it on 22 January 1947. The Preamble can also be called the ‘soul of the constitution’. It has everything about the constitution and was accepted on 26 November 1949. It came to action from 26th January 1950, making India a republic, and the day is known as Republic Day.
Well, the preamble is an integral part of the constitution because it encompasses the spirit and ideology of the constitution as we knew that it highlights the fundamental principles and values of the constitution.
The main objectives of the Constitution of India
10 interesting facts about the Indian Constitution
- The original constitution of India was written by Prem Bihari Narain Raizada, calligraphy with Italic style.
2. The original copies, in both English and Hindi, are present in special helium in the library of parliament.
3. It took exactly 2 years 11 months and 18 days to complete the final draft.
4. The concept of fundamental rights came from the American constitution.
5. 44th amendment deleted the right of property.
6. The constitution of India is said to be the best constitution. In fact, the constitution of India has had more than 100 amendments in the past.
7. The concept of liberty, equality, and fraternity in our preamble was adopted from the French motto.
8. Indian constitution contains 25 parts with 12 schedules and 448 articles.
9. It is one of the longest handwritten documents in the world.
10. The original constitution document was signed by 283 members of the parliament.
The beautiful journey of the Indian constitution over the last 7 decades
This 26-01-2021 celebrates 71 years of the Constitution of India.
The largest democracy of the world has the largest constitution.
Our constitution started with 395 articles and 8 schedules. Today, it stands with 460 articles and 12 schedules – result of about 100 amendments.
The past 100 amendments, basically changed the aspects of the republic such as fundamental rights, federalism, democracy participation, judicial, etc.
Evolutions in the Indian constitution
Executing land reforms.
The ninth schedule became the most important.
Socialist planning vs Fundamental rights.
Emergency years – during this period, election and civil liberties got suspended.
However, the Constitution of India is not perfect too. There are several Criticisms of The Indian Constitution too. Well, the constitution sums up the beautiful spirit of India – sovereign, socialist, secular, democratic, political, and thought of the expression.