Vitamin C is an essential nutrient that keeps the body functioning. Just as protein, minerals, and carbohydrates are necessary for our body, vitamin C is also very essential for our body. Even though it is an essential nutrient, we lack the ability to synthesize it. Therefore, it must be included in our daily diet. It is found only in foods and dietary supplements. Thus, this blog, we will talk about Vitamin C rich food and their benefits for your overall health.
Vitamin C is also known as ascorbic acid. It aids many biological functions, such as the synthesis of collagen, wound healing, boosting immunity. It helps prevent or treat scurvy and other diseases due to vitamin C deficiency. Also, it is considered an “immune booster” because it can actually prevent infection. Vitamin C is believed to aid in the treatment or prevention of certain diseases like asthma, bronchitis, cancer, cataracts, gastritis, glaucoma, heart disease, hypertension pressure, and osteoarthritis. Not very surprisingly, Vitamin C is also helpful in fighting the common cold.
According to research by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). An estimated 7.1% of the US population can be classified as having vitamin C deficiency.
Benefits of Vitamin C
- It protects our bones, helps in the formation of our tissues. Vitamin C is an important factor in the absorption of iron.
- It is a very powerful antioxidant. You should ensure that you receive daily doses of vitamin C. As it is a water-soluble vitamin and most of it is not stored in the body.
- It helps in increasing our immunity.
- Vitamin C is also very beneficial for our skin and hair.
So, let’s get going and dive into the world of vitamin C rich food!
Vitamin C rich food – Fruits and Vegetables
Guava is one of the richest vitamin C sources. A fresh, green Guava has 4 times more vitamin C than an orange. It helps improve immunity and protects you from common infections and diseases.
Enriched with vitamin C, guava is great for the skin. It contains a sufficient amount of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals which help enhance immunity. It is very beneficial for healthy and glowing skin. The presence of vitamin C can protect against damage caused by free radicals. It also helps in improving the elasticity of the skin. It is helpful in preventing signs of aging.
- Guava is readily available to us.
- It helps in increasing the strength of our hearts. Guava is rich in antioxidants and vitamins, which helps protect the body from free radical damage.
- It contains high amounts of fiber and potassium which is not only very good for health. But its leaf is also useful in reducing the level of bad cholesterol in the body.
Lemons come to my mind as soon as I think of Vitamin C. Many people think that the highest amount of vitamin C is found in lemon, but this is not true. Guava tops the list. Nonetheless, Lemons not only contain vitamin C but also various other fibers. These nutrients are very helpful and have many health benefits.
- Lemons keep the heart healthy, controls weight, and aids healthy recovery.
Health benefits of lemon –
- One lemon provides about 31 milligrams of vitamin C.
- Lemon is beneficial in detoxifying our body.
- It flushes out the toxins of our bodies.
- Consuming it reduces your risk of heart disease and stroke.
Since Lemon is easily available to us, we must include it in our everyday food.
We all know how Amla is beneficial for our health. Amla becomes available as soon as winter comes. It is a green fruit that is sour and bitter in taste. But it is a kind of panacea for our bodies. This is because this small fruit is full of nutrients and has amazing health benefits. It has plenty of antioxidants, especially vitamin C.
- It comes in a range of polyphenols (gallic acid, ellagic acid, corilagin, etc.). Polyphenols are antioxidants that prevent free radical damage in the body and fight various types of cancer and heart diseases.
It contains sufficient amounts of fiber and minerals. This small fruit increases body strength and protects against many diseases.
The hidden goodness of Amla
- Amla has twenty times more vitamin C than other citrus fruits.
- It improves digestion and has high fiber content.
- This reduces the chance of constipation.
- It is also helpful in reducing diarrhea. Amla also increases the secretion of gastric and digestive juices.
There are several other VitaminC rich foods around us. But Guavas, Lemons, and Gooseberries are something that we do not often consume in sufficient quantity. It does not matter which source of Vitamin C is with you as long as you take a balanced diet. In case, you are struggling to include vitamin c rich foods in your diet. Why not try making Salads out of it? Read our blog Switch to salads, a nutritious diet to get some amazing tips.